Sure, you may not love everything that happens in your life, especially if it is something painful like the passing of someone you love or losing your job unexpectedly. Learning to embrace these moments, as tough as it may be, molds us into who we are and influences the choices we make. Choose to let these challenges motivate you, inspire you and ignite you to make positive changes in your life. It's what makes you YOU! :)
In a completely unrelated topic, what are your thoughts on Abercrombie & Fitch's CEO and his stance on only making clothes for "cool kids". What goes around, comes around and I love this video:
Good morning, IgniteGirls™!
How is your training for the 5k coming along? Are you skipping workouts, or are you earning a gold star? I know the workouts are tough, but push through them anyway. Your body and your mind are changing... getting stronger with every workout - so keep at it! I am training right along with you! Did you know that after almost 10 years of dance and gymnastics, I decided to sign up for track in highschool? I wanted to stay active, but I also didn't know the rules of any team sports to try out for them! Barely halfway into my first track season, I developed shin splints which quickly turned into a stress fracture. Super not fun. And this past July, I had surgery to remove a bone spur that was pressing on a nerve in the arch of my foot, which left me unable to walk for a few weeks. The point is... this is hard for me too! I do not think of myself as a natural runner, and you may not be either, but you could surprise yourself. I DO consider myself someone who likes to set a goal and accomplish it! :) So let's reach our goals together, IgniteGirls! Show me whatcha got! Download your Week 5 Training Schedule! Or if you haven't signed up yet, register for The IgniteGirls™ 5k Run! It's free and you get goodies emailed directly to you! We have a giveaway around the corner, so make sure to register! Race Day is June 15th at 9:30am EST.
Have you stopped by Pinqii yet? Pinqii has a panel of female experts that answer questions from you! Now you can see how I do one of my ultimate exercises for Summer legs!
Your BONUS IgniteGirls™ Firecracker Circuit Workout is below!
In addition to teaching an evening Spin class every Tuesday, I also instruct a bootcamp/circuit-based class on Mondays and Thursdays. I like to call this class "Crazy Camp." We rotate stations, doing 1 station per minute, until the entire round is complete. Once the round is finsihed, clients take a 2-3 minute rest. This was the workout we did last Thursday in my class:
7 stations, each for 1 minute for a total of 4 rounds!
1) Single-Leg (SL) Squat on Flat Bench
2) Kettlebell Swing Hops
3) Lateral Bench Stepovers
4) Prisoner Hops
5) Walking Push Up on Bosu Ball (see below for example without Bosu)
6) Lateral Walking Plank (Ladder Drill)
7) Lateral High Knees (Ladder Drill)
Rest. Repeat for a total of 3x!
It's Monday, IgniteGirls, and that means a NEW packet of workouts for the upcoming IgniteGirls 5k Run!
Are you all signed up? It's not too late! You can still register for The IgniteGirls™ 5k Run!
You can download your week 4 training schedule by clicking the link to download it to your phone or print it out!!! You can hashtag us at #ignitegirls5krun (or #ignitegirls) before and after your 5k workouts! You can also tag us on Facebook, Instagram or Twitter. Checking in online is great for:
√ Accountability to me!
√ Sharing the fitness fun!
√ Meeting other IgniteGirls™!
Vanilla Almond Pancakes
- 1 1/2 cups almond meal
- 1/2 cup organic coconut flour
- 1/2 cup plain oats
- 1/2 cup almond/coconut milk
- 2 large, whole eggs
- 3 large egg whites
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 3 tablespoons agave nectar
- 1/4 cup unsweetened applesauce
Mix all dry ingredients in a bowl. In a larger separate bowl, beat the eggs, milk, agave, vanilla and applesauce together. Slowly add the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients and mix until creamy.
Using medium to medium-low heat, coat a pan with spray oil and pour the batter into the pan forming a pancake. Batter may be thick, so use a fork or spoon to form the desired shape. Cook on one side, watching carefully it doesn't burn, flip and cook the other side. Serve with a side of fresh fruit and top with pure maple syrup, honey or agave nectar. Makes about 12 medium pancakes.
Look at your post-workout accountability pics! 💦 Register for The IgniteGirls™ 5k Run! 💜 And keep hashtagging us at #IgniteGirls5kRun! You never know when we will do a giveaway to reward a fun post! ;)
Did you try the V Up Ab Crunch last week? If you didn't do it yet, I want 10 reps for 3 sets! Don't put your feet or your hands down on the ground between each rep - abs should be activated the whole time!
You can do this!
- Ride a bike. Even though it seems like a childish pastime, it’s a great way to get outside and get movin’. If you don’t own a bicycle, you can always rent one or even spring for a relatively cheap one on Craig’s List. You could bike to a local park to have a (healthy) picnic, or to a nearby coffee shop. It’s healthier than driving, and it’s better for the environment. If you live in a city that offers them, check out a local bike tour company – you might even learn something new about your hometown!
- Take a class. You could stick with something traditional, like yoga or pilates, but getting a group of girls together is the perfect way to try a new kind of class. Many options exist now for pole dancing, cardio striptease and other risqué classes. You will feel a lot less silly when surrounded by friends, and going once with a group might make you feel comfortable enough to start going by yourself more frequently in the future.
- Take a hike. Even if you don’t live by Runyon Canyon, there are usually forest preserves and hiking trails to be found that aren’t too far away. A quick search online should provide plenty of options for a hiking destination that you can trek together.
- Get cooking. Learning to cook new, healthy foods and introduce more variety into your diet is always a smart move. Take a group class for healthy cooking, or if you’re lucky to have a Top Chef in your group of friends, ask her to host a get-together and teach everyone to make some of her favorite healthy dishes. You could also host the soiree at a friend's house and have a healthy potluck where everyone brings their favorite healthy dish or course. This kind of gathering is way cheaper than dining out and usually allows for more chitchat and quality time, since you won’t constantly be distracted by a noisy dining room or interrupted by an impatient server. See Jupinko and I whipping up some gluten-free pumpkin mousse tarts!
- Relax. Plan a spa day! Get massages or facials, manicures or pedicures … whatever your heart's desire. Sure, this option might be a little pricier, but the results are less stress, radiant skin and beautiful nails. Plus, I look forward to the "spa water" that is usually flavored with orange slices or cucumbers! These kinds of days feel especially good as a reward for working hard at your fitness. Have everyone in your group set a goal they want to reach over a few weeks and keep each other honest via email or text. Whoever reaches her goal gets to go to the spa day guilt-free!
Hello, hellooo IgniteGirls™!
Did you have a good weekend? Even though I was out of town, I made sure to get in my 2.61 miles of cardio on Saturday morning before the beach. That was the view at the gym, lovely isn't it? It always feels good to start the day with a workout, and I used last week's Empowerment Playlist to get my booty moving. Register for The IgniteGirls™ 5k Run!
The long-awaited Pavement & Pearls workout tank in MINT is finally here! We've been receiving requests for more sayings, but we thought it would be great to have a runner's tank that we could all wear on race day paired with your favorite pearl jewelry! After all, an IgniteGirl is both athletic and girly ;) You can order your very own P&P tank on Keri's Shop! ♥
And even more fun stuff... here is your Week 3 training schedule!! <---Just click the link to download it to your phone or print it out. Register for The IgniteGirls™ 5k Run! You can hashtag us at #ignitegirls5krun (or #ignitegirls) before and after your 5k workouts! You can also tag us on Facebook, Instagram or Twitter. Checking in online is great for:
√ Accountability to me!
√ Sharing the fitness fun!
√ Meeting other IgniteGirls™!
Now that you have downloaded your new workouts, how do you know you are really, reeeeally giving it your all? Make sure every workout counts! Read Coach Keri's article from The Huffington Post called "5 Ways You Can Tell You're Having a Good Workout".
Rock the week, IgniteGirls™! We can't wait to hear how your training has been going! Check in with me online! I'm here to help!
~ Coach K